- RYT® Registered Yoga Teacher : A yoga teacher who completed a yoga teacher training program with a RYS, is accepted into the Yoga Alliance Registry, and is up-to-date with annual registration fees.
- E-RYT® Experienced Registered Yoga Teacher : A RYT with significant teaching experience
- RCYT® Registered Children’s Yoga Teacher
- RPYT®. Registered Prenatal Yoga Teacher
- RYS® Registered Yoga School : A yoga school with a yoga teacher training program that meets Yoga Alliance’s standards, applied to join Yoga Alliance, has been approved by Yoga Alliance, and is up-to-date with annual registration fees.
- RPYS® Registered Prenatal Yoga School
- RCYS® Registered Children’s Yoga School
RYS® Faculty types and Requirements
- Trainer a RYT® who is indicated on the syllabus as teaching contact hours in a RYS® teacher training track.
- Lead Trainer a E-RYT at the corresponding level (or higher) of a RYS® teacher training track who is indicated on a syllabus as teaching Contact Hours with a Lead Trainer in a RYS® teacher training track.
- Other Faculty non-RYT®s who are eligible to teach Contact Hours in a RYS® Teacher Training Track. They must have a relevant degree, certification or substantial education in the subject that he or she will teach, which must be related to a Yoga Alliance® Educational Category, plus a minimum of 500 hours of teaching experience in that subject and/or the equivalent of two years of relevant experience in that subject area.
- RYS® Owner the legal owner and/or legal representative of a RYS® , who must submit documentation of and attest to the relevant education, qualifications and experience of all Other Faculty who teach in their training
- Techniques Training & Practice asana, pranayama, kriyas, chanting, mantra, meditation and other traditional yoga techniques. For RYS®s, hours must include both (1) analytical training in how to teach and practice the techniques, and (2) guided practice of the techniques themselves.
- Teaching Methodology communication skills such as group dynamics, time management and prioritizing; how to address the specific needs of individuals and special populations, to the degree possible in a group setting; principles of demonstration, observation, assisting and correcting; qualities of a teacher, teaching styles and the student learning process.
- Anatomy & Physiology both human physical anatomy and physiology (bodily systems, organs, etc.) and energy anatomy and physiology (chakras, nadis, etc.). This includes both the study of the subject and application of its principles to yoga practice (benefits, contraindications, healthy movement patterns, etc.).
- Yoga Philosophy, Lifestyle and Ethics for Yoga Teachers the study of yoga philosophies and traditional texts; yoga lifestyle and precepts; ethics for yoga teachers (such as those involving teacher-student relationships); understanding the value of teaching yoga as a service and being of service to others through yoga (seva).
- Practicum practice teaching, receiving and giving feedback, observing others teaching and assisting students while someone else is teaching. The standards for each RYS® and Specialty Designation outline specific requirements for the minimum number of hours a trainee must spend practice teaching as the lead instructor.
- Specialty Area General Background in the specialty area; Required for RCYS and RPYS only
*the content areas that a school’s curriculum must cover to meet Yoga Alliance® Standards
- Full-time Trainees participate in training all day. This is usually the case in intensive or immersion programs.
- Part-time Trainees participate in training at certain times but it does not take up the majority of their time (i.e., no more than 20 hours per week).
- Modules A series of short immersions (e.g., for a week) over a longer period of time.
- Residential Accommodations for trainees are available on-site.
- Non-residential Accommodations for trainees are not available on-site. Trainees commute to the training location.
- Destination/retreat Trainings are held at a special retreat or destination location other than the RYS Primary Location.