Yoga for Arthritis & Chronic Pain Level I Teacher Training Online
June 10 @ 6:00 pm - June 27 @ 4:00 pm
June 10 – 27, 2021
Taught by Nancy O’Brien, C-IAYT, RYT-500, Elizabeth (Livvie) Mann, RYT-500, and Sunaya Peter Karow, C-IAYT
Yoga for Arthritis was developed at a leading research university by an interdisciplinary team of medical and healing professionals. Combining ancient Yoga practices with modern medical knowledge, this program offers modifications for addressing the unique abilities and challenges of persons with arthritis and related conditions. In a seven-year randomized clinical trial, program participation was associated with mitigated arthritis symptoms, disease biomarkers, physical fitness, psychological functioning, and quality of life.
The mission of the Level 1 Teacher Intensive is to qualify Yoga teachers to impart safely and effectively the rigorously researched Yoga for Arthritis practices and modifications to people with arthritis and related conditions.
Participants who successfully complete the course will receive a certificate of completion, a teacher manual for implementing the Yoga for Arthritis program (a 16-class structure) in their local communities, and access to extensive resources in an online community devoted to Yoga for Arthritis Level 1 graduates. They will be eligible to continue to Level 2 (mentored practicum) and from there to the Level 3 Certification Course. At the end of Level 1, program participants will:
- Understand the basics of autoimmune and mechanical joint disease
- Be able to offer asana modifications for those with joint challenges and pain
- Understand how arthritis impacts all the koshas and how to manage the effects
- Teach Yoga for Arthritis classes in their communities
- Work individually with arthritic clients of all ability levels
$650 ($575 for IYINY active teachers)
$100 nonrefundable deposit
$40 digital materials fee payable to the instructor
Printed materials are available for an additional $30
How to Apply
Registration will open soon. Sign up for our e-newsletter to be notified when registration opens.
June 10, 12–13, 17, 19–20, 24, and 26–27, 2021
Thursdays • 6:00–8:00p.m. E.D.T.
Saturdays and Sundays • 11:00a.m.–1:00p.m. and 2:00p.m.–4:00p.m. E.D.T.
This is a live and interactive online training, attendance is expected during the class hours above.
200-hour yoga teacher training certification recognized by Yoga Alliance.
Certification and Continuing Education Credits
- Yoga Alliance: 30 contact hours + 2 non-contact hours for continuing education.
- 300-Hour Certification: 32 hours credit for Integral Yoga 300-Hour Certification
- Yoga Therapy: this course is an elective module in the Integral Yoga Therapy Certification program. For more information and to apply, visit https://integralyoga.org/therapy
This program is endorsed by the Arthritis Foundation and is the basis for its Arthritis-Friendly Yoga DVD, which was released in 2012. Yoga for Arthritis is a Member School with the International Association of Yoga Therapists and this training can be used as credit toward several 800-hour Yoga therapy programs.
Approximate Cost: $575 – $650